OMG UPDATE: Question? Answer.

Updated on Tuesday, April 28

#7149

QUESTION: I got accepted into Biology co-op, but I don't know if I should come to UW! I heard the opportunities for bio students aren't that great. Thoughts?

7 comments

  1. You are 100% correct. You will probably not find a co-op job and if you do it will most likely not be relevant. Also the pay is garbage.
    -Bio student who was in co-op

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the pay being crappy, but Biology co-op offers great opportunities, especially compared to other schools that have co-op in the same program (Ryerson, UofT, etc). I am currently in Biology co-op and I've had great experience to back me up. Finding a job isn't easy but if you aren't picky in your first 1 or 2 coop terms and you are very eager to learn, you will end up getting a job. If you don't end up getting a job, you can always talk to your profs and see if they have USRA opportunities for you. It's so much better than spending a summer doing random stuff and earning more money, because right out of undergrad having a degree in Biology and without any relevant experience makes life so much harder afterwards.
    Of course if you are very focused on med school or any professional school, then regular program would suit you better.

    But don't do Biology at UW if you're not doing co-op.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. getting USRA is harder than getting a co-op
      for professional, don't think it makes much difference which school you go to, the material is the same, and getting that 80+ in UW is easier than in UofT
      otherwise good post m8

      Delete
  3. You're asking for anecdotes, which is fine, just don't base your decision on a handful of opinions from students. I am in biology coop myself (1st year so no coop terms yet), I just wanted to tell you that you will hear people like 1 saying how coop is shit for bios. Then you will hear another person who's getting jobs every term. Personally I experienced the same. I talked to upper years that dropped coop, and I talked to others that were employed by the likes of health canada every term. It really comes down to where you think you will stand in competition to your peers. The employment rate for coop this for bios was ~83% last time I was told by an advisor. So if you think you can be a part of this 83% you will have a chance. If you think you are apart of the 17% you may want to reconsider.

    Also to 3, I know some people planning for meds while in coop, and they are doing rather swimmingly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 here. I meant time wise a regular program would suit better to people planning on pursuing professional school because co-op would add an extra year to undergrad.
      But yep I agree with all that you wrote, it really does vary depending on the individual you talk to.

      Delete
  4. Co-op jobs for biology are competitive, but if you do well in first year, it shouldn't be that bad. I highly recommend it for people who want to do graduate studies. In addition, there are a few health related jobs that you can also apply for (research jobs at St Mikes, Sunnybrook, PMH, etc.). I work at Sunnybrook.

    ReplyDelete