OMG UPDATE: Question? Answer.

Updated on Monday, September 29


QUESTION: Any tips for someone looking to get an RA position in the Math Faculty (Statistics)? Are voluntary positions available?

1 comment

  1. I've done this, both part-time during a study term, and full-time during a co-op term. Basically, you just contact a prof you're interested in working with, and ask if they have any projects that could require an undergrad RA.

    For part-time, they'll generally pay you a small salary (comparable to being a marker). I guess you could also do voluntary.

    For full-time, you're usually partially funded by an NSERC USRA, and the application deadlines for them are early in the term preceding the term you intend to work. So, for example, if you plan to work next spring, it's a good idea to be talking to profs near the end of this fall term.

    I also did mine in statistics. Knowing R (as in really knowing it, not just the basic stuff you do on assignments) is invaluable.