OMG UPDATE: Question? Answer.

Updated on Friday, May 16

#6492

QUESTION: If you're sitting alone, by yourself, what are the chances that you want some company? State gender.

33 comments

  1. 0 chance. I am ok if you say hi, or ask me to watch your stuff. Or if something happens that grabs everyone's attention, it is ok to say something.
    But otherwise, don't just make yourself at home. I find it awkward.
    If we see each other around a lot and have had short encounters as noted above, then yes, we could work up to actually sitting together and talking, but not out of the blue.

    Or if you just need a place to sit, feel free to sit, but don't expect a conversation. I study when I am on campus. I am busy.

    I am female. And yes I know this makes me sound bitchy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the chance follows a chi square distribution with 50 degrees of freedom

      Delete
  2. 70%? It's pretty rare I don't enjoy some company, even if I'm studying. I'm a guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. are you a pleasure to look at and not an idiot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OP here: Not an idiot (of course, I have my moments), not completely sure about the "pleasure to look at" bit. Not ugly, but not extremely handsome either. Will that do?

      Delete
  4. Depends. If I'm just eating, playing on my phone, or taking a breather by myself- then I would definitely be open to some company. However, if you're just going to sit beside me in silence, then I would just feel awkward and leave.

    But if I'm studying, then no. No company. You can sit near me as long as you're not loud with good hygiene (not gonna lie, there's a lot of people who seem to not mind avoiding the shower). But don't expect a conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 70%, female. So the odds are probably in a random's favor. Of course, I hope some autist isn't going to look at this and conclude they should continue talking to me after I tell them to stop bothering me because they're the 30%...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A person with autism is called autistic, and you're a horrible person.

      Delete
  6. (female) 0% chance, considering I usually go out of my way to even avoid people I do know/like talking to when in public. I have terrible social anxiety, and it flares up when conversations are sprung on me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I'm studying, reading or otherwise look occupied, I don't want company. If I don't look busy I'm usually open to to a little conversation, however this rarely happens anyway. I'm a guy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Female here. If i'm alone in a busy place (eg. sitting in the slc cafe), I would love some company but if i'm alone in a quiet place or look busy (eg. studying in a library), I wouldn't wanna be bothered.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OP here: Thank you for all the feedback! Instead of having my lunch alone, maybe I'll seek someone out who's having theirs alone as well, and does not obviously look busy!

    I love connecting with people, but am kind of shy about initiating first contact... when I see someone alone at their table, and there are plenty of other empty tables around, I feel that I would be seen as some sort of creep if I approached the person... Hopefully, based on the answers I got, I can urge myself to be more courageous/confident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be! Everyone loves company when they are obviously not preoccupied (such as studying or finishing an assignment).

      Delete
    2. Yeah! I feel the same way! I wanted to start talking to more people and striking up conversations.

      My advice is approach it from a non threatening (by that I mean don't make it seem like you're trying to hit on them) manner, just start with a hey and explain why you want to sit and chat

      Delete
  10. Female. If I'm alone, I can almost guarantee that I don't want company from someone I don't know. I am very introverted and would much prefer to be left to myself. If someone I knew saw me however, I would welcome them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Male 100% if they're an attractive female and 0% if they're male.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd only want someone to come join me if they were interesting or attractive, preferably both. Maybe they have a sick rock collection, or just went on a trip to the Colombian jungle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how about saddam's janitor?

      Delete
    2. Pull up a chair fella!

      Delete
  13. Female. If I look bored 80%. If I am focused on studies or an assignment or food and I don't know you or you can't help me then 0%. Your physical qualities have little to no impact, your hygiene/smell is important.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 20%
    I usually sit by myself studying, SLC/DC/DP
    I'm okay with with people sitting at an empty table near me, make small talk or whatever, but in general I'm there to study

    Female

    ReplyDelete
  15. Female. I wouldn't mind at all if someone came to talk to me, it gets pretty boring sitting there alone and usually when I am alone it is because I am waiting for my next class and have no where to go for the next 15 mins.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 75%, female. As long as I'm not studying intensely or whatever, I'm more than okay with company. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. 0%. Male. But in my case there's the "fuck off" look to supplement, so I'm a lot less deceptive than most people in this sense.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 10% Female. If I'm alone, I probably want to be. I'm okay with you talking to me if you're an attractive male. Otherwise, no.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Approximately 0%... If I'm alone in public, it's probably because I want to be, lol. Female

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm always game for company. When I'm travelling or in a public place like say a coffee shop, it's great to have a conversation with new people. It's not that I'm lonely, I'm just open to new experiences :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Most of the time I am open to a conversation, but the rare times when I am studying/ in a hurry then no. female here. OP i think you just have to look and see who looks like they are open to a convo, prehaps without earphones, looking around, open posture.

    ReplyDelete